Tyson Foods, one of the largest global food processing companies in the world, has settled with the Department of Labor (DOL) for $1.6 million for charges of systemic hiring discrimination. The discrimination allegations were brought on by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) following a routine compliance review, where it was determined Tyson Foods had discriminated based on sex, race and/or ethnicity at six of its U.S. facilities.OFCCP Settlement and Findings
- OFCCP found Tyson was rejecting applicants based on sex, race and/or ethnicity for laborer positions between 2007 and 2010.
- OFCCP found that Tyson was systemically discriminating during their hiring and selection procedures at six facilities, violating Executive Order 11246.
- Systemic hiring discrimination was found at six Tyson Foods locations: Russellville and Rogers, Arkansas; Santa Theresa, New Mexico and Houston, Sherman and Amarillo, Texas.
- Tyson will pay $1.6 million in back wages with benefits and interest to 5,716 job applicants.
- Tyson will also extend employment offers to 474 of the affected class as positions open.
- Tyson agrees to revise its training and hiring procedures.
TakeawayBesides supplying food services to countries around the world, Tyson Foods is a federal contractor receiving over $15 million in contracts with the U.S. Department of Agriculture supplying the federal government with meat products.This hefty lawsuit is an indicator that even large corporations receiving significant government contracts are not protected from the OFCCP’s aggressive tactics and are still required to follow affirmative action requirements. Any company with a government contract and operating in multiple locations needs to globally monitor and audit all of their facilities’ hiring processes annually to ensure there are no signs of systemic discrimination and to ensure all facilities are adhering to their affirmative action requirements.If you have any questions about any of your facilities hiring processes and procedures, contact Career Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.